Program Client: African Development Bank
Year: April 2019 – October 2020
The objectives of the Consultancy were to conduct a scoping/baseline survey on tourism MSMEs in Malawi, undertake training needs assessment for the MSMEs, develop training programs and supporting manuals and deploy the business development trainings targeting tourism MSMEs.
Scope of Work:
- Conduct the baseline survey of existing reports, studies, strategic plans and documents, policy and regulatory framework for Tourism MSMEs in Malawi
- Base on the findings of the baseline survey, identify and analyze key tourism value chains, market and business opportunities for MSMEs;
- Develop a Training needs assessment report;
- Develop/adapt, translated training materials in cooperation with local training institutes to be selected based on their comparative advantage and ability to continue the trainings on a sustainable basis after project completion;
- Develop training methodology specifying the relevant training methods to be used, e.g. (but not limited to) group work, cases, presentations, trainer instructions, adaptation of training manuals, handouts for participants and a training curriculum;
- Review financing modes for MSMEs in the tourism sector and develop a framework for identifying MSMEs for financial and capacity building support;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation procedures, and accountability systems for MSMEs on the project’s business health checks, incubator and financing program;
- Develop criteria and guidelines, including credit risk assessment, and model for selecting MSMEs for funding;
- Deploy various trainings on MSMEs development which includes development of investment proposal and bankable projects;
- Develop a Tourism MSMEs Sustainable Business Development strategy and plan;
- Facilitate training of Trainers in Tourism Business Management; and
- Provide technical support for the establishment of an MSME business incubator and career guidance center.