+44 20 3642 5504
Erlend heads Horwath HTL's UK office in London. He also serves as the liaison with Horwath HTL's international offices for cross border assignments. Erlend is a member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and a Fellow of the British Association of Hotel Accountants. With more than 20 years of international operational hotel and hotel real estate experience across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Erlend has worked with a number of the major consultancy firms in the industry. Erland was the founding member of Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) Hotels' Dubai office where he formed part of an entrepreneurial growth team and participated in the expansion of JLL’s Dubai team from 10 employees in 2005 to more than 70 in 2008. Within the 10-member hotel team’s first operating year the team generated turnover in the region of $2 million. During this time, Erlend undertook a number of complex management contract negotiations. Following three years in the Middle East, he returned to JLL Hotels' London office where he joined the Pan European and Central and Eastern European teams. In addition, Erlend has worked at CB Richard Ellis Hotels (London) and InterContinental Hotels & Resorts (New York, Paris and London). While with Horwath HTL, Erlend has provided strategic advice to a number of Middle Eastern clients, conducted feasibility studies and valuations across the UK and continental Europe, and is currently advising on a number of operator selections and management contract negotiations. Erlend speaks fluent French, German, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish and his expertise lies in the following areas:
- Strategic advice in connection with portfolio development, hotel positioning & branding, hotel disposal & due diligence
- Management contract, hotel lease & rent review negotiations
- Single asset & portfolio valuations, including cross-border assignments
- Hotel Market and Financial Feasibility studies frequently including mixed-use assignments
- Asset management, operational reviews & capex programmes
- Prepared a Market and Feasibility Study on behalf of a London-based developer for a 40 all-suite conversion in a Grade II listed building in central London.
- Conducted a rent assessment for tax purposes for an international holdings company and their subsidiary operating company on a country estate in Hampshire.
- Undertook a valuation of a hotel development near the Old Town Square in Prague. The 90-room project’s Likely Future Value upon opening was in the region of €100 million.
- Valued a trophy asset on the French Riviera ‘as is’ as well as subject to a major expansion project. The hotel was valued in the region of €1,000,000 per room following the expansion.
- Provided asset management for the Radisson SAS Liverpool working closely with owner and operator during the pre-opening and initial trading period.
- Valued two regional upscale UK hotel assets totalling over 300 rooms to provide an updated internal valuation figure on behalf of the owner.
- Valued a portfolio of three upscale central London hotels comprising some 600
- Strategic brand expansion advice and development of the business plan in relation to a leading Turkish hotel chain.
- Strategic advice in developing a corporate structure for a significant Middle Eastern hotel owner and operator.
- Valuation of three luxury and two upscale hotels owned by a market-leading Croatian owner/operator.
- Rent review between a major London estate and a Middle Eastern sovereign fund in respect of a highly complex rent review on Park Lane, including instruction of QC advice.
- Contractual advice in relation to a contractual dispute between a hotel owner and the operator of a 5-star hotel in Berlin, Germany.
- Negotiation of management contract with Starwood Hotels & Resorts for the St Regis hotel in Cairo for Qatari Diar
- Negotiated and concluded five additional management contracts in the Middle East, including brands such as Renaissance, Fraser Suites, Park Inn and Radisson Blu, as well as providing advice in relation to Four Seasons, Movenpick, Holiday Inn and Jumeirah management contracts.
- Development representative for global serviced apartment provider Fraser Residences, Singapore identifying sites, conducting site reviews and evaluating site feasibility and negotiating management contracts on Fraser’s behalf. Negotiated master management and technical services agreement for a roll out of the brand across the Middle East.
- Development & branding strategy advice for a Middle Eastern sovereign fund in respect of their $5 billion portfolio of mega tourism projects.
- Strategic brand and distribution advice to Rmal Hospitality and development of the initial business plan.
- Valuation of a portfolio of nine internationally branded hotels (3,100 rooms) across Western Europe with a value in the region of €355 million.
- Development advisory & extended feasibility study in respect of proposed inclusion of up to six hotels in a mega-mall site in Dubai.